Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 106 Aug 2


We heared the strangest noise this morning.......it was raindrops on our tent! Wow! That was a first of the trip! (it has rained on us once while hiking and twice when we were in a town) This was just sprinkles, but enough to get things wet. I put the rain jacket on and started hiking around 0515, I taped my photon light to my wool hat (cold mornings) and away I went. Somewhere along the way, I managed to take a wrong turn and never even knew it until I saw Thrust coming down the trail TOWARDS me! I asked, "where are you coming from?" Ummm, the campsite" he replied. Well, that confused us both and I turned around and started hiking with him and shortly after recognized a huge tree that I had climbed over about 10 minutes before! Oooops! We both continued north and eventually caught up to Neighbor who was wondering where exactely I was by that point! Bugs came out and the rain stopped, so the rain jacket came off and the bugnet went on. Elk Lake Resort was a short hike away and they opened at 8am for breakfast and we were there by 0810! I had some new Montrail Hardrocks waiting there for me too! Time for new shoes! Elk Lake was nice, we showered, did some laundry, organized our food for the next couple days and within an hour someone suggested that we take the rest of the day off and relax and take a break from the bugs! Well, I was all for that! Relax is what we did! The place was pretty expensive though ($2 for a can of soda or $2 for a snickers basr) ouch! Pipi and Outback showed up! We haven't seen them in ages! It was great to see them and chat and catch up on old times! The store sells ice cream cones and everytime a huge bucket of ice cream was close to the bottom, they would bring it out to all of us to "clean out"! How fun, we had chocolate, huckleberry, mint chocolate chip and one other! Then Alan showed up and he had a cabin rented for the night and offered to let us stay with him! Things just keep getting better and better! There was a live band playing by the water and I borrowed Slider's phone and called home, what a great day it turned out to be! Flippy, Antfarm and Swiffer in the ice cream barrels!

No comments: